Gastric Bypass Surgery
Laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery is essentially the “gold standard” for surgical weight loss in the United States. Studies show the average weight loss is higher for patients who choose this option vs. one simply using a restrictive device (such as a band). During this procedure, after the surgeon makes a small stomach pouch a “bypass” is created which keeps food from entering parts of the small intestine. Because the body cannot absorb as many calories or nutrients due to skipping these small intestine sections, the patient begins to experience a new pattern of weight loss.
There are a variety of Internet sites dedicated to counseling people about the medical requirements and benefits of lap gastric bypass. The best source of information can be found through independent sources, including the American Society of Bariatric Surgeons and the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons.
According to a 2004 bariatrics article in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the procedure’s many advantages include:
- 83.7% of Type 2 diabetes cases are resolved, often within days of surgery.
- Gastric bypass surgery successfully resolves more Type 2 diabetes cases than purely restrictive procedures
- Substantial weight reduction: 61.6% of excess weight is lost.
- 96.9% of hyperlipidemia cases are resolved.
- 87.1% of hypertension cases are resolved or improved.
- A substantial improvement in a patient’s overall quality of life: excess weight is lost, many weight-related health problems are resolved, improved appearance, improved social life, improved chances to obtain and retain employment.
So, is the gastric bypass procedure right for you? The best way to answer this question is to have an individualized consultation with an accredited weight loss surgeon. If you choose to see the weight loss surgery specialists at TBS, you will receive a free 150-page, customized “survival guide” to surgical weight loss. Schedule your consultation today, and you will be on your way to a new life of increased health and happiness.
Here is a chart showing our practice’s successful outcomes following laparoscopic Roux en-Y gastric bypass procedures, based on our experience in San Antonio.
|Outcomes||Texas Bariatric Specialists||National Average|
|Death||<0.5%||<0.5% to 2%|
|Leak||<0.5%||2% to 5%|
|Strictures||5% to 7%||7% to 25%|
|Excess weight loss||65% to 80%||65% to 80%|
Since laparoscopic gastric bypass is essentially the “gold standard” for weight loss surgery it should be your “first choice for a last-resort treatment.” To pursue this option, you must choose your surgeon and hospital very carefully. If a qualified weight loss surgeon and hospital are not available in your area, the open approach (making a long incision) is deemed to be safer. In addition to providing one of the most qualified programs in the South Texas and Hill Country region, TBS offers a “no exclusion” policy and the advantages of laparoscopic surgery to nearly 100% of its patients. These advantages include:
- Less pain
- Faster recovery
- Faster initial weight loss
- Lower re-operation rates
- Smaller incisions (cosmetic)
- Lower chances of a blood clot forming
- Lower overall mortality rate
All our patients are considered for laparoscopic surgery. In our experience, only a very few people are not candidates for this approach. We encourage all patients who are denied laparoscopic surgery by other surgeons to seek our opinion, or a second opinion before taking “no” for an answer.
The latest research shows that gastric bypass surgery works by doing more than just losing weight. Studies have shown that:
- Significant hunger suppression is achieved within days of having surgery in a significant number of patients. This is achieved hormonally as opposed to mechanically when compared to the lap band.
- Up to 20% of patients may go home without their diabetes medications before losing a single pound.
- Up to 20% of patients may go home without their blood pressure medications before losing a single pound.
- Up to 40% of patients will go home without their cholesterol medications before losing a single pound.
While these results are not guaranteed, they strongly suggest that the way that your stomach is stapled and the way that your intestines are re-routed, significantly changes your metabolism. Taken together, this may be why gastric bypass is superior to the lap band in “curing” disease related to obesity.
Texas Bariatric Specialists has a “no exclusion” policy which is a definite benefit for many of our patients. What that means is that we have NO pre-set exclusions based on:
- Age – Patients can be as young as 16, and as old as 80+ years.
- Body Mass Index/weight.
- Prior procedures – Some patients also have had gallbladder, stomach stapling, gastric band, colon resection and many other surgical procedures.
- Insurance – We are willing to work with any insurance carrier that considers weight loss surgery a covered benefit.
- Bloodless weight loss surgery…our practice respects the beliefs of patients who choose not to accept blood products. If you are one of those patients, please note that we have a specialized team available to help address your needs and counsel you about your options.
Trusted, professional help with your weight-management issues is just one click or one phone call away. We offer a variety of easy ways to help you regain your health and improve your quality of life today:
- Call our number at the top of the page.
- Complete our online contact form
- Attend one of our Free Weight Loss Surgery Seminars.
- We offer convenient locations throughout San Antonio in addition to Austin, Corpus Christi, Killeen, Del Rio, Laredo, New Braunfels, and San Angelo in South Texas.