Nilesh A. Patel, MD, FACS Bariatric Surgeon
As a nationally recognized and fellowship-trained bariatric surgeon, Dr. Nilesh A. Patel founded Texas Bariatric Specialists to establish a holistic weight loss practice focused on delivering long-term weight loss solutions for his patients.
Dr. Patel specializes in surgical weight loss procedures including Lap Band, Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Band, and the revision of failed weight loss surgery which have resulted in over 4,000 surgeries that have exceeded the national average of successful weight loss management.
With a commitment to surgical expertise, compassionate care and exemplary preoperative and post-surgical consultative services, Dr. Patel and the staff at Texas Bariatric Specialists ensure successful weight loss management for their patients through long-term relationships to support good health.
- Recognition as a “Centers of Excellence” surgeon by the American Society of Metabolic Surgery and Bariatric Surgery, and the Surgical Review Corporation.
- Faculty of the American College of Surgeons, October 2007.
- Chosen by peers as a “2006 Top Doc” (bariatric surgery) in poll of San Antonio doctors conducted by Scene in SA, a regional San Antonio magazine.
- Author of over 25 peer-reviewed articles in surgical journals on topics including bariatric surgery and other surgical procedures.
- Years Experience: 12
- Years Experience in Bariatrics: 11
- Years Experience in Laparoscopic Surgery: 12
- Years Experience in Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery: 11
- Percentage of Practice is Bariatrics: 95%
- Minimum Age for Patients: 16
- Maximum Age for Patients: 80+
- Gall Bladder Removal: Sometimes - based on the presence of symptoms
- Surgery Types Performed: LAP-BAND - Revision - Roux-en-Y - Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Active member of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, American College of Surgeons, and Texas Medical Association.
- Actively participates in Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (demonstrates weight-loss surgery techniques and presents outcomes).
- Member of the Advisory Board for www.ObesityHelp.com, a Web site offering hope and help for people struggling with obesity.
- Presenter of bariatric and surgical studies at more than 15 international and national meetings.
- National Preceptor for Covidien.
Education and Training
- Medical School: Robert Wood Johnson
- Medical School - Piscataway, NJ (graduated 1999)
- Residency: Allegheny General Hospital - Pittsburgh, PA (2004)
- Fellowship: Allegheny General Hospital - Pittsburgh, PA (2005)
- Name: Dr. Joseph Colella
- Date: 2004
- Training Covered: Laparoscopy, Bariatric Surgery
In the Press
- Featured NSIDE MD magazine Coastal Bend.
- Featured Expert on Weight Loss WOAI (San Antonio).
- Featured Expert on Weight Loss Kristv (Corpus Christi).
- Featured Expert on Weight Loss KZTV (Corpus Christi).
- Guest editor, Medical Clinics of North America- 2007.
- Guest editor, Surgical Clinics of North America- 2005.
- Featured guest expert: WOAI-TV’s San Antonio Living lifestyle show and Pittsburgh’s WTAE-TV news show.
- Featured medical expert: WOAI.com (San Antonio), and KVUE.com (Austin).
- Featured expert quoted in San Antonio Business Journal and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette news stories about weight-loss surgery.