The chart below compares the Gastric Sleeve with the Gastric Bypass and the Lap Band:
|Gastric Sleeve||Gastric Bypass||Lap Band|
|Expected weight-loss at 3 years||60-70%||70-80%||50-60%|
|Need for foreign body||None||one||Yes, band and port|
|Need for adjustments||No||No||Yes|
|Stomach size after surgery||200-300 cc||30-60 cc||30-60 cc|
|Number of years studied||<5 years||>25 years||<10 years in the USA|
|Cost||$13,500 to $18,000||$18,500-$25,000||$12,000 to $13,500|
|Risk of leak||<5%||<2%||<1%|
The risks of Gastric Sleeve Surgery include:
- Relatively new procedure with no long-term results
- Most insurance companies do not cover it yet but this is subject to change in 2010
- Need for B12 supplementation
- Chronic nausea and vomiting
- 100% irreversible
Trusted, professional help with your Gastric Sleeve questions are just one click or phone call away.
We offer a variety of ways to help you regain your health and improve your quality of life:
- Call us at the number shown at the top of the page.
- Complete our online Contact Form.